Hello Friends! I hope everyone is happy and healthy considering the situation we’re facing these days! I would be completely lying if I said it’s been easy breezy over here. Change is never easy but luckily for us we can adjust at our own pace and roll with the punches.
Given that I’m NOT a morning person the hardest thing for me to adjust to has been getting out of bed at the same time everyday in order to maintain a schedule and feel some sense of normalcy. So I’ve been making a point to NOT hit snooze and make my bed as soon as I’m up.
After the first couple of weeks into quarantine I began to feel sad and anxious and I knew I had to commit to things that would help me get through it! They’ve worked wonders and I hope they help you too in any way possible. These are the 5 things I’ve been doing in order to stay Healthy and Motivated at home:
- De-Stress: It’s no secret that stress weakens your immune system therefore I’ve been staying away from the news and focusing on positive audiobooks, TV shows and Instagram accounts that make me smile and feel happy.
- Hydrate: This may seem obvious but when staying home with little physical activities it’s common to not drink as much water as we should. Staying hydrated helps you clean your body (inside and out) and keeps your muscles and joints working better as well as your skin looking great. Research has suggested that staying hydrated keeps your memory sharp, your mood stable and your motivation intact. So yes, I’m drinking some as a write this!
- Exercise: I’ve been working out 3 times a week for the past five years but ALWAYS in the evening. It’s something I’m use to and love! If you were to ask me why don’t I workout in the AM and get it out of the way (which is what most people like to do) my answer is simple: I’m grumpy in the morning and I need my coffee fix before I can deal with pretty much anything. haha sorry, not sorry! I’m definitely and owl, my energy levels kick in at night. But thanks to the coronavirus (grrrrr) I’ve been forced to change this and honestly, I’ve been transitioning into becoming a morning person. Who would have thought – I now start MWF with a 7 am workout. I think I should call it my silver-lining?
- Vitamin D: I assume (and hope) that at this point everyone is taking Vitamin C so I wanted to emphasize the importance of Vitamin D during this time. Vitamin D helps fight depression and anxiety which is very common in society during a crazy time like this. Vitamin D has several important functions. Perhaps the most vital are regulating the absorption of calcium and phosphorus, and facilitating normal immune system function. Getting a sufficient amount of vitamin D is important for normal growth and development, as well as improved resistance against certain diseases.
- PLAY: Probably the best thing we can do right now is play! Whatever you want, however you want! Playing helps us live in the moment. It boosts our mood as well as our immune system. Stress levels disappear and creativity flows from playfulness, some of the best ideas I’ve had have come from silly moments where I’m happy and disconnected from the world.
What are some of the things that are helping you stay healthy and motivated? Let me know in the comments below!