REASONS TO VISIT ROME DURING CHRISTMAS + HOLIDAYS
Hi Fam! I can’t believe how fast the holiday season went by this year but I have to say it was a great one for the books! Jeff and I debated wether to go to Italy for Christmas break or not due to the weather, all our research said that we’d get rainy days no matter what. Despite of this we pulled the trigger and booked a 2 week vacation in Italy. So this blog post will be focused on our time in Rome and I have to begin by sharing a few Reasons to visit The Eternal City during the Holidays:
- You will avoid long lines and the crowds – You’ll see half of the people during winter vs during the Summer. This means, no lines, no crowds, and no time wasted waiting for a table at popular restaurants.
- Beautiful weather – I know we might have gotten very lucky since we didn’t get one day of rain while in Rome, instead, we enjoyed beautiful and crisp sunny days! So I wouldn’t let the weather stop you from visiting Rome during winter.
- Christmas decorations, lights and Festive environment – I had experienced Rome during the Summer and had the time of my life (at 21 yrs old) but there is something magical about Rome during this season. The lights and decorations make you feel like you’re in a movie and the italians are not shy about spreading the Christmas cheer.
STAY # 1
Our first hotel in Rome was the Elizabeth Unique Hotel a modern yet very cozy Luxury Hotel located in one of the most popular areas in Rome, only a few steps aways from Via del Corso which leads you straight into The Spanish Steps. In my opinion the best area to stay in. Very centric from all the major attractions and easy to get in and out of.
The Staff and Service were beyond out expectations. They upgraded our room free of charge and were happy to help out in every which way possible making us feel right at home. Best part? Everything in the mini bar is complimentary!
STAY # 2
After 5 days in Rome we took on a journey to Florence and from there around Tuscany (click here to read the Tuscany Blog) and decided to book 2 nights back in Rome before flying back to LA at the end of the trip. This time, we stayed at the 15 Keys Hotel, a very small and yet Luxury boutique hotel. Cute as can be, modern with a retro vibe. We were happy to have made this desition since we got to experience a completely different area of Rome. More of a local experience, per say.
CITY’S MUSTS + TIPS
Rome has so much to offer, there’s literally beauty in every single corner. It’s incredibly rich in its Art, Food, Architecture and History so to make sure you don’t miss out on anything here’s a list of the things you can’t miss out on and a few extra tips!
- Vatican City – Catholic or not, it’s something you have to see at least once in your life. TIP: Take advantage of the jetlag and make it your first stop, specially if you’d like to make it to the top of the Duomo where you’ll get to see the best views of the entire city. We got there around 8am and were pretty much the only ones going up the narrow stair way. Be prepared to climb 551 steps.
- Colosseum – Yes, obvious. So not much to say here other than what you already know : ) TIP: it’s definetly worth to go in in order to get the full experience. Also, save your ticket. It grants you access to the ruins around the Roman Forum (across from the Colosseum).
- Fontana di Trevi – to call this a “must see” would be an understatement. Only the most beautiful Fountain you’ll ever see in your life. TIP: Grab a cappuccino to-go and get there as early as you can. The earlier it is the less people you’ll find there. Words cannot express how amazing it was to have the entire Fountain to ourselves! A moment I’ll never forget – Thank you, Jetlag!
- Spanish Steps | Via del Corso – If you like shopping, this is the place! All your favorite brands located in a beautiful street that leads you into my favorite place in Rome: Piazza di Spagna. The most vibrant Plaza in the city. Live music playing 24/7, shopping and amazing food all in one place? What else could a girl ask for? TIP: splurge!
- Trastevere – The best area for nightlife! Make sure to explore all the bars and restaurants and enjoy the moment! TIP: ask your concierge for the best restaurants in this area and make a reservation. The best ones tend to always be packed and harder to find a table.
Shop the look
hope you enjoy this vlog!